When I decided to start a food blog, I had a tough time deciding on a logo. Since popcorn is my favourite snack food, especially Kernels and movie theatre popcorn, I almost put a popcorn kernel on my logo. I ended up going another route so the least I could do was dedicate a post to popcorn.🍿
After many years of periodically trying to get homemade popcorn to not taste bland, I finally managed to get it to my liking. I made mine with a Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper in the microwave. If you have your own popcorn popper already, you are on your way. If not, I have to say the Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper I found on Amazon is pretty cheap and pops popcorn well. I got it because microwave popcorn in the sealed paper bag is supposed to be really bad for you. I know, I know…movie theatre popcorn is too, but we’re allowed one guilty pleasure right?
If you want to give my microwave popcorn a try, the recipe is below. Enjoy and don’t worry, you don’t need to be embarrassed if you eat the popcorn by the handful. My husband does… 😉
Level: Easy | Time: 5 min | Servings: 2
- 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels
- 1 tsp of butter (skip if you want a healthier option)
- 1 tsp of ghee (skip if you want a healthier option)
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp of Kernels white cheddar popcorn seasoning
- Put 1 tsp of butter, ghee and coconut oil in your popcorn popper (e.g. Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper) and add 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels.
- Cover and put the microwave popcorn popper in the microwave for 4.5 min or until there are 5 second intervals between pops. If you have a different popcorn popper, pop the popcorn according to its instructions. (That was a lot of pop’s in one sentence!)
- Remove the lid or uncover the popcorn and sprinkle some salt on top to taste.
- Put 2 tsp of Kernels white cheddar popcorn seasoning over the popcorn.
- Shake, let cool, serve and voila!
It’s a good snack to make after some Chicken and Shrimp Fettuccine.