I think the first and only time I had carbonara before making it myself recently was when my sister and I went to Italy in the spring of 2015. It was my first time in Europe except for a 5h layover in Amsterdam in 2010. Italy is a beautiful country and it would have been an amazing trip if a chain of bad events didn’t happen throughout the trip. I won’t bore you with the details though and it’s not about food…🤤
Carbonara was one of my favourite dishes in Italy, but I typically like less saucy pasta so it’s difficult to say what swayed me more – that or the fact that the pasta was made in Italy. Since I liked that carbonara so much, I decided to try making it recently. Even though it wasn’t made by an Italian, I thought it was delicious, but it’s not because I’m an amazing cook or anything. It is because who doesn’t love pasta mixed with egg, cheese, and bacon??? And yes, I used bacon in my carbonara because I love bacon. 😁
Level: Easy | Time: 30 min | Servings: 2-3
- 3/4 package of long pasta (I used long macaroni; how cool is that?)
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese
- 3 strips of bacon (or pancetta)
- 1 tsp of butter
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- Sprinkle of lemon juice
- Whisk the egg and two egg yolks together.
- Add in the black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, and parmesan cheese, and set it aside.
- Cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat a pan to medium heat, melt 1/2 tsp of butter on the pan and add the bacon.
- Fry the bacon until it is slightly crispy and put it onto a plate.
- Leave 2 tsp of oil from the bacon in the pan and put it aside.
- Cook 3/4 of a package of long pasta in a pot, according to the instructions on the package, to al dente.
- Drain the pasta after saving 2 tbsp of the pasta water and put the pasta back into the pot.
- Add 1/2 tsp of butter and coat the pasta with it. Set it aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of minced garlic at medium heat in the pan with the bacon oil.
- When the garlic is slightly brown, put the pasta onto the pan, add the pasta water, and mix.
- Turn the heat to low and quickly stir the whisked eggs in.
- Add the bacon and turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice on top and serve immediately. Yummm…
If you want a good side dish to make with this, check out my Air-Fried Jalapeño Poppers blog post.