Ground beef and vegetables
If you want something easy, quick, and tasty to make, this ground beef and vegetables recipe might be for you. Even though I don’t normally like eating rice (unless it’s with Greek or Indian food), I like eating rice with this dish. I first started making it when I was a university student and didn’t want to spend a lot of time cooking food, but didn’t want to get take-out either. Usually, I make it with ground beef, green peppers, and udon noodles, but I changed it up this time because it’s what we had in our fridge during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Level: Easy | Time: 30 min | Servings: 4
- 1 package of ground beef
- 1 bell pepper
- Cremini mushrooms (as much as you prefer)
- White or red onion (to taste)
- 1 tsp of minced or chopped garlic
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of chili sauce (if you like spicy)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Cayenne or chili pepper (if you like spicy)
- 2 cups of rice
- Chop the bell pepper, cremini mushrooms, and onion, and keep the onion separated.
- Heat a sauté pan to medium heat and add 1 tsp of sesame oil.
- Put the chopped onions and 1 tsp of garlic (although I like to add the garlic later on so that the garlic flavour is more prominent and not as cooked down) into the pan and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the package of ground beef and separate the ground beef into crumbled-sized pieces with the spatula.
- Add 2 tbsp of oyster sauce, 1 tbsp of soya sauce, and 1 tsp of chili sauce.
- Stir and cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink.
- Add the mushrooms and bell peppers, and season with black pepper and cayenne or chili pepper to taste.
- Stir until the mushrooms and bell peppers are cooked.
- Serve on top of cooked rice.
If you want a good side dish to make with this, check out my Eggplant Fries blog article.