Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Soup Chicken
I’ve had an Instant Pot for a few years now, but we haven’t used the “Pressure Cook” option too often. My husband and I usually like to slow cook our meat, but sometimes we forget to prep or season and put the meat into the Instant Pot 6+ hours ahead of time. This is when the “Pressure Cook” option comes in so handy and why I believe the Instant Pot has become so popular. Being able to cook meat and have it be moist in under 30 minutes is very useful when you are short on time.
We decided to experiment one evening and made a cream of mushroom soup chicken in the Instant Pot to go with some penne. It was pretty good (if I may say so myself) so I thought I would share the recipe. Enjoy! 🙂
Level: Easy | Time: 60 min | Servings: 4
- 2-3 pieces of raw chicken breasts
- Penne pasta (as much as you prefer)
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- Mushrooms (as much as you prefer)
- 1/4 onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper (if you like spicy)
- 2.5 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp of mustard
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Parmesan cheese (to taste)
- Shredded cheese (to taste)
- Green onions (to taste)
- Slice the mushrooms and dice the onions (and jalapeño pepper if you like spicy).
- Choose the “Sauté” option on the Instant Pot.
- Put 1 tbsp of butter in the pot and coat the bottom with it.
- Put the chicken in the pot and sear the chicken for 4 min on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and put it onto a plate.
- Add 0.5 tbsp more butter to the Instant Pot.
- Sauté the mushrooms, onions, jalapeño pepper, and minced garlic in the pot until browned.
- Put the seared pieces of chicken on top.
- Add the can of cream of mushroom soup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper to the pot, while ensuring the bottom of the Instant Pot and tops of chicken are evenly coated.
- “Pressure Cook” in the Instant Pot on “High” for 10 min.
- Release the pressure in the Instant Pot by “Venting” and let the chicken sit in the Instant Pot for 10 min before opening the lid.
- Remove the cooked chicken and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Put the cut chicken back into the Instant Pot and stir with the sauce.
- Boil enough water in a separate pot to cook the penne.
- When the water is boiling, add the penne and cook for 8-10 min for al dente pasta (or longer if you prefer softer pasta).
- Strain the water from the penne.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter and coat the penne with it.
- Dice the green onions.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, shredded cheese, and green onions into the pot and stir with the penne.
- Put the penne into serving bowls and top with the Instant Pot cream of mushroom soup chicken.
If you want a good side dish to make with this, check out my Air-Fried Jalapeño Poppers blog article.